FUEL FACT: When trying to lose weight, it was first thought that eating too much fat made you, well, fat. So people began low-fat diets, and even No-fat diets to get healthy. In all actuality, though, eating too many carbs is what causes our bodies to store fat and hold onto fat. That is why it is important to choose the right carbs;)
Our bodies NEED fat to function, but again, the key is to choose healthy fats! There are several different categories, but to keep it simple, here's a list of foods to choose from:
Coconut oil (cooking with heat)
Olive oil (use for cold food recipes, salads)
Omega-3 supplement (500 mg total EPA/DHA)
FUEL FIX: Here's are few ways to choose healthier fats--
1. Snack on peanuts instead of potato chips or candy. Peanuts provide good energy without all the trans and saturated fats that are contained in typical snacks. Limit their consumption to half a cup per serving.
2. Use olive oil in salad dressings and in marinades.
3. Replace high calorie, saturated fats containing cheese/dairy with avocados.
5. Use nuts and seeds, rather than chocolate and candy pieces when baking or as a topping for various desserts.
6. Eat fatty fish that contain omega-3s, such as salmon, mackerel or herring in place of red meat or chicken for at least 2-3 meals per week.
7. Limit, or eliminate entirely, fast foods fried in trans fats, and other goods containing these fats (cookies, cakes, donuts).
8. Read food labels and avoid foods that contain hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils, or have any trace of trans fats.
Hebrews 1:3 says that God will sustain you by HIS powerful Word. It's been 1 week of trying to get back on track with our eating habits...remember that it's not by your strength that you will withstand this challenge! But it is by His Word and His power--so be in Your Word daily to experience God's presence & truth in your life. This will in turn empower you to make healthier choices as you commit to honoring Him with your body and everyday choices!