We are traveling today, and just wanted to share my top 5 healthy tips for traveling.
1. Do buy a cooler. It doesn't have to be expensive, just functional.
2. Do measure out your snacks into portions. This will help you be mindful of how much you are eating.
3. Do time your eating. Sitting for long periods of time can become boring, which may trigger you to want to eat. Plan to eat every 3-4 hours and only in those intervals to help keep you from over-snacking.
4. Do drink lots of water. I know this may cause you to need to stop more frequently, but it's worth the effort to keep your body hydrated.
5. Do pack a variety of colorful foods & include protein, carbs & healthy fats.
Here's an example of what I packed today for our 8-9 hour drive:
-string cheese (p/f)
-black bean hummus dip (c/f)
-pork jerky (p/c/f)
-homemade granola bars (p/c/f)
This was all stuff I had on hand. Other items to consider:
-pistachios, almonds or cashews
-packets of nut butter
-homemade trail mix
To stay alert while driving, opt to eat ice instead of eating seeds.
What is your favorite tip to staying on track when you travel?