1. Omega-3 fatty acids are fats found primarily in fish and fish oils (mono- and polyunsaturated).
2. Important role of fatty acids is to protect against heart disease, arthritis, allergies, cognitive loss, depression, diabetes and aging.
3. There are three primary omega-3 fatty acids found in food and supplements: *ALA-alpha linollolenic acid, found in flax seed oil *EPA-eicosapentaeonic acid, fish & fish oil *DHA-docosahexaenoic acid, fish & fish oil
4. You need at LEAST 500mg-1000mg of EPA & DHA per day.
5. Aim for 4-6 servings of oily fish per week and/or take a fish oil supplement. *Salmon, mackeral & cod are best sources. *Avoid tilapia, catfish and tuna fish. *Albacore tuna is ok.