One important element of maintaining a healthy eating plan is to cultivate healthy habits daily.
Here are some very basic, but useful tips to introduce into your daily lifestyle. I suggest starting with one at a time, and progressively adding more as these habits become part of your lifestyl
1. Eat every 3-4 hours to keep your body energized and metabolizing efficiently.
2. Eat your first meal within one hour of waking up. If you are not accustomed to eating breakfast, make it more like a snack, such as a protein shake or apple & string cheese.
3. Pick one day of the week to prepare your snacks (cut fruits and veggies) for the week in ziploc bags or containers.
4. Try to make one healthy substitution a week. For example, using avocado instead of mayo in your sandwiches, replacing white bread with whole grain bread, or drinking iced tea instead of soda.
5. Choose fresh foods over packaged foods, such as fruits and veggies instead of chips or crackers.
6. If someone else is cooking for you and you cannot control the ingredients, control your portion sizes. Eat half of what you would normally eat. If you're eating out, choose the healthier options (grilled vs fried, steamed vs sauteed, veggies vs pasta/rice).
7. Eat your last meal/snack 2 hours before you go to bed. If you are still awake 3+ hours after your last meal, you may get hungry again and be tempted to snack.
8. Drink WATER--1/2 your body weight in fluid ounces is optimal for health.
9. Get your rest. Sleeping 7-8 hours every evening is ideal for health and weight loss. Studies show that lack of sleep increases the body's resistance to burning fat.
10. Plan your meals at least 3 days of the week. For healthy ideas to great tasting meals, visit www.dashingdish.com.